- Affordable/Attainable Housing
- Affordable Housing Resources on Cape Cod
Affordable Housing Resources on Cape Cod
There are many organizations involved in affordable/attainable housing efforts – on the local, regional, State, and federal levels. The Orleans Housing Authority owns and operates housing for eligible households. Barnstable County and the Cape Cod Commission are active in regional efforts and provide information and reports. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts has long been active in this area and has a wealth of information and assistance available through multiple agencies. For those seeking affordable housing and related services in the area, many non-profit organizations provide information and assistance to Orleans residents, as well as residents of Barnstable County, the Cape Cod region, and the State.
- Town of Orleans: the Department of Planning and Community Development provides staffing for the Affordable Housing Committee and Affordable Housing Trust Board and is the point of contact for the Town on housing matters. A half-time Affordable Housing Coordinator (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) works under the supervision of the Director of Planning.
- Orleans Housing Authority: The Housing Authority is empowered to carry out the duties of a local housing agency under Chapter 121B of Massachusetts General Law. These duties include the planning, construction, operation and maintenance of rent subsidized housing for low income individuals and families, veterans, the elderly and the disabled. Though the Authority is State funded, the Board of Commissioners are all citizens of the Town of Orleans. The Authority manages 131 units of housing under a variety of programs.
Regional Non-Profit Organizations
- Cape Light Compact
- Community Development Partnership (CDP)
- Habitat for Humanity of Cape Cod
- Harwich Ecumenical Council for Homeless
- Homeless Prevention Council (HPC)
- Housing Assistance Corporation (HAC)
- Lower Cape Outreach Council @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Department of Human Services
- HOME Consortium @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Department of Community and Housing Development (DCHD)
- MassHousing/Massachusetts Housing Finance Agency
- Massachusetts Housing Partnership (MHP)
- Mass Commission Against Discrimination
- MassHousing Homeownership assistance for eligible Massachusetts first time homebuyers, including affordable mortgage options and downpayment assistance.
- Finding assisted housing: there are several websites maintained by Massachusetts state government that can help persons looking for help with housing, including:
A Guide to Obtaining Housing Assistance
Affordable Housing Programs
Affordable Units for Sale
Housing and Community Development Application
Housing Navigator, supported by MHP, is a non-profit organization that provides information for those seeking affordable rental housing and maintains an online tool for locating housing statewide.
- Subsidized Housing Inventory: the Massachusetts DHCD maintains the inventory of subsidized housing for every locality in the State that meets its definition of affordable housing for the purposes of compliance with chapter 40B: The list of localities and numbers of units is generally updated annually. The current list is arranged alphabetically.
Orleans housing developments: the 2017 comprehensive study of housing needs contains a list of the various assisted housing developments in the Town at that time.
@(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>